Interviewed by: Fe
The founders of Locatify had wanted to present stories of places they were travelling to and had tried out different technology that did not work. It was when Apple produced iPhone that it was possible to program apps for GPS SmartGuide.
On top of that they built TurfHunt, the treasure hunt game, which encourage outdoor activity and learning. The only way to make it publicly available is to offer an easy to use platform so everyone can create his or her own material and publish it.
As their focus has always been on creating tools for education and culture they have also developed the platform for children and teachers to use to create interactive books in an app.
Then they developed an Automatic Audio Guide for indoor museum using Bluetooth Low Energy beacons and are finalizing the programming of the platform so curators can create their content for the museum guide with ease.
They will continue to make the tools to for creative people, which enjoy making their interactive content in the culture and education field.
1. Name: Steinunn Anna Gunnlaugsdóttir
2. Email address: steinunn [at] locatify.com
3. Phone number: 699-4320
4. Your title in the company: CEO
5. Company Name: Locatify ehf / www.locatify.com
6. Industry: Technology and Development
7. Company years in operation: July 2009
8. Type of (legal structure) company: ehf.
9. How many employees does your company have: 4 employees
10. Annual turnover: 20-25 M kr. (for the past 2 yrs)
11. Description of company: Developing platforms to create apps, mostly location-based apps.
12. Company Mission: Locatify has the best tools to create location-based apps for in- and outdoors automatic audio guides and treasure hunt games.
13. Description of social / environmental mission:
“Everything we offer is sustainable, we have a platform where others can create their own content for apps, and it is reusable for different games and guides.”
14. Would you call yourself a social entrepreneur or social enterprise? Yes
15. How do you interpret the concept of social enterprises?
Making difference in the society by providing different educational approach to schools both with treasure hunt app and story app and we make impact on the behavior of how teachers and students experience outdoor learning.
We are also making indoor solutions for museums, to change the way the public looks at museums right now. By offering Automatic Audio Guide for indoor location the visitors do not need to read signs and the experience of the exhibition is the essential attraction. In that sense we aid the curators to bring the museum experience and the cultural heritage closer to people.
It is the same with the GPS outdoor SmartGuide. We offer tools that anyone can use to tell stories of their surroundings and others can easily approach them. Tourists get to know the perspective of the locals and get to understand the culture and geology of the surroundings.
Questions related to definition
16. Does your company have a clear social and/or environmental mission set out in their governing documents (legal documents)? Yes
17. Does your company generate the majority of their income through trade? (51% and above). If not, how much? Yes
18. Does your company reinvest the majority of its profits back into the social and/or environmental mission? (51% and above) if not, how much? We reinvest majority of our income for product development.
19. Is your company autonomous of state? Yes, but we received a grant from the state for marketing purposes.
20. Is your company majority controlled in the interests of the social and or environmental mission? Yes
21. Is your company accountable and transparent? Yes
22. Who are your clients / focus group? “Our clients are mainly in tourism and education, those who want to create and publish their own apps can use our platform for it.”
23. What KPI’s (key performance indicators) or measurement tools, if any, do you use to access if you are meeting your social impact according to your mission?
“An Automatic Audio Guide, where you can listen to a story about what´s going on around you. It is somehow re-living an action; it is getting into the story, getting into the set of mind thinking about what did happen in the place where you are located. So, when you´re in this place you get in contact with the people that offer the stories.
We see how many are using our CMS to create content and how many are downloading our apps and can get reports of usage of certain games and guides from the system.”
24. As per 23, what type of social impact have you created through your products/service (e.g. assisted 1,000 access to health care they won’t have other wise)
“We offer a concrete tool with map markers, indoor and outdoor guides and treasure hunt games. It is in fact all the information a visitor would need when arriving at a new place. In the map markers are the local shops, restaurants, all marked on a map as well. So travelers can have all the information in one app and access it easily. Then those who create the content can alter it whenever they need and the travelers can get the updated information next time they look at the app. The access to correct information about roads or anything else can be sent as news to those who use the app.
We have also had great response to our treasure hunt game apps. Teachers and students mainly in Scandinavia have enjoyed the interaction and social impact this app reveals.”
Social enterprise sector
25. If a social enterprise umbrella body were formed, would you be interested to know more about it and possibly join as a member? If so would you be interested to join our mailing list for news on our activities? “Sure as long as it’s for the interest of the company.”
26. What support do you personally need from such an umbrella body and/or what support do you think the social enterprise sector requires? “That would be peers, sharing ideas, experience and networking as a business strategy.”
27. How would you like to see social enterprise develop in Iceland?
“I am part of a social network which focuses on sustainability and environmental issues called PEARL. I am a member since 2004. UNESCO is supporting that organization and we have meetings annually in big and small groups. I would like to see social enterprise in Iceland to develop such as PEARL, getting to know people from other places that share the same interest and goals.”
28. Can you recommend a company (NGO) that you may know of that has a social and/or environmental mission?
Note: Social Enterprise Iceland does not in any way imply that the interviewed company is a social enterprise. The definition for social enterprise in Iceland is still work in progress through these research interviews. The purpose of sharing these interviews with the public is in alignment with our values of transparency as we share our process of discovery with those who are interested.by